Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fantasy Congress Trade: Post #4

I traded Carol Shea-Porter (D) from NJ for Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (D) from SD. I wanted to stay with a woman, but Carol had not earned very many points in the past two weeks. Stephanie has more experience in office and it looks like she is very active in sponsoring bills. She also seems like she can get bills passed because she works with in a more bipartisan way than some other Democrats.

I like that she was a teacher because that means she probably cares about kids which, in turn, means she has a concern for the future. But she is also a lawyer, which means that she knows how to work hard and knows the law. On a personal level, she looks like she takes good care of her heath -- she's trim and has good posture and, frankly, I think that's a good symbol of self-respect and discipline. I want a hard worker but someone who has a chance to get things accomplished. She's rated very high, fourth on the list of Legislation introduced. I also like that she's got a high attendance rate. That shows commitment to stick around and work. She's working on a Farm bill that seems like it has a chance to pass. I hope to see some bills pass in this Congress.

Her website says she is an 'independent' voice in her state. She is a member of the Blue Dogs, moderate Democrats that are committed to fiscal discipline and strong national security. She is also on the global warming committee which I think shows a person who is unafraid to think about big changes in the way that our resources have to be protected. I wanted to pick someone who votes as a Maverick and she has a score of 520 which is high.

No comments: